PLPD is a car insurance term that stands for Personal Liability and Property Damage. In many states, PLPD is the legal minimum of what insurance amounts you need to carry on your vehicle. A good insurance risk manager in Utah can give you a breakdown of PLPD which might give you a better idea of what type of insurance coverage you have. With a bit of industry knowledge, you can find the best insurance solutions in Utah.

PLPD can be broken down into two categories of coverage. PL is the personal liability component, and PD stands for property damage coverage. If you are in an auto accident for your PLPD insurance to pay for anything, you must be the at-fault party. If you are in an accident, contact the proper insurance manager to interpret your policy.

Personal Liability (PL)

If you are in an accident, being at fault or negligent involves you driving your vehicle. Your driving makes you liable for the damages you cause. Personal liability insurance covers the injuries, suffering, and pain you caused with your vehicle. Personal liability and property damage policies do not cover your injuries.

Liability is written in a fraction form in your insurance policy and is generally entered  $25,000/$65000 and is often referred to as bodily injury in your policy. The number in the first position in the formula is the maximum amount that will be paid out per person. The second number is the maximum that can be paid out per accident. Each person you injure can claim damages of up to $25,000, but once you reach the maximum on your policy of $65,000 the insurance company will pay out nothing more. If several people are injured in an auto accident, the payout depends on who files a claim first.

The maximums listed on your insurance policy are what the insurance company will need to pay. But if individuals injured as a result of your negligence can try to hold you accountable for more money. If you feel your ratios are too low, contact a good insurance risk manager in Utah for advice.

Personal liability key points to remember are:

  • Coverage is for the party you injured
  • State minimums vary. Check with the proper insurance manager to make sure you are well protected.
  • If you feel you need a higher limit, you may want to look into an umbrella policy.


Property Damage

If you cause damage to property with your vehicle such as a street sign, mailbox or another vehicle, coverage will be provided under property damage limits and clauses. Accidents do happen, so property damage is always a part of vehicle insurance policies. The coverage is often displayed as $25,000/$65,000/$15,000. The last number is the property damage limit.

In Utah, minimum limits are $25,000/$65,000/$15,000. However, insurance managers typically recommend you increase these limits for your protection. These limits can be maxed out very quickly so it’s important to talk to a professional risk manager to determine what limits are appropriate to protect you.

Insurance policies are long and full of legal information that will make your head swim. The knowledgeable and proper insurance manager will interpret Industry jargon and challenging phasing to help you understand your policy. If you are curious and want to read your auto insurance policy, remember that phrase, PLPD and double check the limits the policy will pay out.

Call Now ButtonGET A QUOTE