The holidays are a great reminder to think of others. Giving back to the community is a huge part of our agency culture as your personal insurance services in Salt Lake City We try to get involved in a charity or community activity at least once a quarter.
Volunteering not only helps support great causes, but it also provides so much purpose and joy in your own life. Sharing love and service is one of the greatest gifts you can give. Giving is a contagious act and can start a ripple effect of love that can change the lives of others. You do not have to spend money to make a difference. There are many ways to give back even if you have very little to give. Your personal insurance agency in Salt Lake City gives some examples of ways you can give this holiday season.
- Reach out on social media. Social media is a great way to find out about charity events, volunteer opportunities, or things going on in your community.
- Give your time. Shovel the snow from someone’s driveway, visit an elderly home, help someone move, spend the day with someone who is going through a difficult time and could use your company.
- Simple Gestures. You don’t need to put in a ton of effort to make an impact on someone’s life. I remember one morning; I was having a rough day. I went through the drive-thru for a coffee, and at the checkout, they told me, “The lady in front of you already paid for your coffee. She says, “Pay it forward and have a great day.” That simple gesture from a stranger brought tears to my eyes and made my entire day brighter. So buy someone’s coffee, take back someone’s shopping cart, leave a kind post-it note on a co-worker’s desk, open the door for someone…..do something that brings a smile to someone’s face.
- Give appreciation. Everyone loves hearing they are loved and appreciated. Sometimes life gets moving so fast, and we often forget to tell people in our lives how much they truly mean to us. Take a moment this season to share how you feel with others. Or, more importantly, share how others make YOU feel. What does having them in your life mean to you? Challenge yourself to express your appreciation. Text 5 people you love each day, write thank you notes to people you care about, visit and catch up with that relative or friend that you don’t see very often.
- Give to yourself. Take a day to show yourself some love. Take a bubble bath, go for a hike, write a list of things you are grateful for or positive affirmations about yourself. Do something that honors who you are and the life you are living.
Every day we are faced with opportunities to give back or make someone’s day better. It’s up to us if we choose to act on those opportunities. Listen to your gut; if someone keeps popping into your head, don’t ignore it, reach out to them. If you keep thinking of a service project you want to be a part of, stop procrastinating and go sign up.
Giving not only affects those on the receiving end. It affects your own life tremendously. I have found that whenever I am feeling down or focusing on the negative things in my life, the best solution is gratitude. If I focus on the things I am grateful for or giving back so someone else, it helps pull me out of my sorrows, helps ground me and remind me of the bigger picture…Living life to the fullest and being the best possible version of yourself.
Giving feels right. It feels good. It spreads smiles. Life is better, more connected and flows much better when we are all participating in giving rather than taking. Giving creates trust and trust creates a connection. Connections are what brings purpose in our lives.
As a task from your personal insurance agency in Salt Lake City, I challenge you to think of a way to give that day. It can be as simple or complex as you choose. Something as simple as a smile, a listening ear, or your presence can shift someone else’s entire life.